Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The First Cut

I've got my surgery scheduled for March 6. I'm so excited! Lapland and womb cam or bust!

Isn't that insane? Please, put me under! Root around in my abdomen and uterus! Give me drugs! Solve all my problems!

Okay, that last one is crazy, but sometimes it feels that way. Every treatment, you dream, will be the little nudge that causes the avalanche resulting in a baby. But I am oddly looking forward to my big minimally invasive day. Really, it's like looking forward to a big treat or something.

I don't even have to take bcp, which delights me. I hate the little suckers.

How did I get from the hippy edge to here? Then again, I've never had any problems with necessary but invasive procedures. And in the realms of infertility, I think there is a big difference for me personally between the weird "let's give you some Clomid and see what happens" approach, and the diagnosis and removal of something proven to impact fertility. And afterward, I'll know what the status of everything else we haven't tested is (with the exception of egg quality and other IVF-exposed issues). Knowledge, for me, is bliss, even when it's painful to cope with at first.

If anyone has any good tips for making the post-op recovery more pleasant, please let me know.

14 comments:

Io said...

I have no tips for post-op, but I am so excited for you! I don't think it seems insane to be excited about this at all. I mean, yeah, the actual surgery part when you think about it is maybe not so great, but it's the idea that it might help you move forward. I think (hopefully) knowing what's going on will be satisfying for you.

Shinejil said...

Thanks, Io! It's nice to have folks that understand. More than anything, I'm dreading the water prohibition for 12 hours before they knock me out. That's going to truly suck.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you also! I know just what you mean, being excited to have a real, medical step to take that could actually yield positive results. Every step is a step closer to what we are trying to achieve! Now you have something to look forward to next week. My only advice about post op is that if they ask if you want a percoset at the hospital, say yes, and also ask for a few to take home. Even if they say you won't need it. Yay for this next step for you!

the Babychaser: said...

I kind of felt the same way once I decided firmly on the surgery. Scared of the actual procedure, but excited in the way that you are before you go to the salon for a new do, or (if you're me) before you get a new tat.

And it is nice to be looking at something so concrete as "we're going to cut this bad thing out of you." All business, no crossing your fingers.

As for recovery, I can't remember how invasive your surgery is. Laproscopic, right? All I can say is that I had full-on abdominal surgery and I am SHOCKED at how easily my body healed. My body is fussy as hell--it HATES change. But within a week I was taking daily walks, after two weeks I was working from home, and I was back in the office one month after they cut me open.

Just make sure you have: (1) lots of good drugs like percocet, (2) lots of prunes, stool softeners, and metamucil, because you do NOT want to be straining (sorry if TMI, but it's REALLY important advice, I swear!), (3) lots of good LONG stuff to watch on TV (May I recommend BBC's 6-hour Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth?), and (4) a good book on tape, so you don't have to always be facing one direction for the TV, or holding a book up with tired arms.

Having a man-servant at your bidding is nice, too.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Paula Keller said...

Hey! I think I'm a few months ahead of you, but our stories are similar. See my new blog.

My Hysteroscopy went really well--although I didn't do the laparoscopy part. I went home and took it easy that day. The worst of it was just getting the IV in, and then the gas they use to inflate your uterus goes up into your shoulders a few days later--and that is uncomfortable. Otherwise it was no big deal. I was so glad to get that polyp out of there! My periods are way less painful now.

http://infertilityonthebrain.blogspot.com/

luna said...

hey, I thought I posted a long comment but it's not here? (I don't think it was offensive, but maybe you rejected/deleted it?) oh well, I'll try the short version...

I've had many surgeries, including an extensive laps and several hysteroscopies. the hysteros were a breeze, really, just some cramping and lite spotting. my RE did a LOT of work thru my lap so I was pretty sore, but this is NOT usually the case for others.

I agree the lack of water before is really hard. hopefully you're scheduled for morning?

as far as post-op care, get a TON of rest and sleep because that's when you heal. drink a LOT of water and fluids to get the anesthesia out of your system. the lap can make you a little gassy/bloated, so eat easy foods if you can, like soup, etc. water, cranberry juice, etc.

best of luck! ~luna

Denise said...

This might be tmi, but I've learned to start taking a stool softener a couple of days prior because anesthesia always makes me constipated. Percoset is also notorious for that, but I wouldn't turn it down!

I'm so glad you got it scheduled!

Geohde said...

Antiemetics, antiemetics, antiemetics. Make sure you get em BEFORE you feel pukey.

I always feel bad when I see women I've just seen the insides of in theatre vomiting their sore tummies up in recovery.

J

nancy said...

ah, it's a breeze. I've had 4 surgeries - 2 lap and 2 hysteroscopic. For the laps, it was just a day or so of soreness. For the hystos - I didn't even take time off. I slept afterwards due to being groggy, but as soon as I woke up, I was cool.

Good luck!!! It's exciting to have a plan - definitely.

A.M.S. said...

My best post-op tip is walk around. Be prepared for the referred pain in your shoulder from any air left in your abdomen.
A nice, slow stroll around your favorite store (with someone to drive you and keep you company of course) will help to pass the time and get your mind off the discomfort as well as get things circulating to help get that air out. Be prepared for some unladylike gas-passing as well.

Take the vicodin or whatever they prescribe for you so you can sleep.

The incisions are pretty minor.

I think I spent the post-op afternoon sleeping on the sofa and eating the soup my mother made (she was my designated responsible adult). The next two days I spent about two hours walking around and the rest of the day being lazy. By day three, I was back to normal and by day four, I was back at work.

Good luck to you!

Jen said...

I'm having a lap on March 7th, so we'll be stuck our backs together next week. I found herveryown's laprassvice helpful: http://herveryown.typepad.com/herveryown/2005/08/laparassvice.html

www.tipsyandaddled.blogspot.com

Sunny said...

Enjoy the drugs and keep a pillow to your side. Stay off your feet. Rest up. I hope you have come out of it with answers.

Pamela T. said...

CODEINE -- and lots of it. I've had two laps...and much as I was grateful for the knowledge, they weren't exactly a day at the beach to recover from -- I had a bad reaction to the anesthetic (lots of vomiting) so be sure to follow all of the doctor's advise. Here's to getting some great answers!

Me said...

I haven't read the other comments so I could be duplicating. I've had 2 laps (1 more complicated than the other) and an egg retrieval.

You've gotta have a pillow to put across your tummy on the drive home. I NEEDED that. Also, a heating pack. I had to have this for the shoulder gas pain.

I tried to take short walks frequently to help prevent bloodclots. Drink plenty of water. If you choose to do prunes to avoid constipation don't do too many!

Keep an eye on the bellybutton incision. They get infected pretty easily.

I asked for anti-nausea meds in my IV before the anaesthetic.

Take your painkillers on schedule. If you think you don't need them you could be mistaken and it'll be really hard to get back on top of the pain.

Get some hard candy to suck on afterwards, I got a really sore throat from being intubated.

Take it easy for longer than you think you need to.

I'm at www.scarredbellybutton.wordpress.com