Saturday, February 2, 2008

Side Effect Watch: Day 2

Thanks for sharing your fun C experiences! I'm amazed at the wide range of funky stuff that one chemical can do. I bow before the might and delicacy of the female hormones.

Actually, despite the alarmist headline, there's nothing really to report. The reading glasses are still going on and off the nose occasionally, and I feel somewhat tired and fuzzy, but I think I'm coming down with something. God, this is about as interesting as listening to dear ol' Grandma go on about her peripheral neuropathy. I think I had a hot flash last night, but again, might just be this bug I'm fighting. I've followed the advice I read somewhere on Stirrup Queens that taking C at night helps reduce the impact of the side effects. It does seem to be helping me avoid the worst (i.e. emotional insanity) so far. Fingers crossed, wood knocked, etc.

I'm glad I'm taking it well, because I was terrified I would be a mess. Why? Well, in the past, I tried the Pill a couple times, once when I was 16 or so, and once when I was already in college. Both times, the Pill was incredibly effective because I had no desire for sex. At all. In fact, I hated the men around me, as they didn't seem to like me crawling into dark closets and weeping profusely. They were also extremely irritating, making noises, saying things, you know. Basically, I was an irrational, depressed, libido-less shrew. So I used all sorts of other protection instead and (I know, shocking) never got pregnant. Are you laughing as hard as I am?

Based on these experiences when medicine attempted to fool with my hormones, I was scared that these months on C would be a complete wash. But no, thankfully. At least, so far so good.

With this quasi-clarity, I'm attempting to put together a book proposal for something I translated, a collection of personal accounts by members of a certain ethnic group deported by the Soviets during WWII. Stalin and his buddies declared entire nations enemies of the state, believing they had collaborated with the Nazis, who occupied areas of the Caucasus and southwestern Russia in 1942-43 or so. Based on this conclusion, the secret police rounded up and deported every man, woman, and child, and even brought soldiers and nurses back from the front. Most veterans ended up in Urals labor camps, while families were "resettled" in remote areas of Siberia and the Russian Far North, with only the clothes on their backs to get them through the winter and logging or fishing production quotas to fill. I know, fun reading. Basically, I cried as I translated. Heartbreaking stuff. But with amazing sparks of humor, joy, and insight, and lots of interesting information about this particular ethnic group's history. The guy who put it all together in the original, himself a deportation survivor, is on board and excited. Now I just have to find an academic publisher interested in this kind of stuff. It would also be nice to get the original author some money, any money. Life where he is is very, very hard.

Isn't it odd how terrifying doing something new can be? And this isn't even my stupid dissertation. And I've got an old guy in East Jesus, Russia hoping I'll come through for him. I'm always getting myself into these predicaments. What new challenge have y'all been confronting lately?

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I think you're right, we, motley crew of infertiles, are like a bunch of geriatrics. Instead of hip replacements, though, it's hormonal changes and needle sizes. Hang tight. And I would never blame a headache on you; it's always the fault of a male. On a serious note, your project sounds fascinating. Seriously. I'll be interested to know how it comes out.
Best...Melanie

Deathstar said...

Hi Shinjil:

Thanks for leaving a comments on my post Bodhisattva of Infertility.

Been there, done Clomid. If you woke up in an oily sweat, that's a hot flash, courtesy of the drug. With a cold, it's usually a chilly, then hot sweat. Hope that helps.

Io said...

I certainly haven't had any challenges like translating a sad tale of hardship or living the hardship...I'm with Melanie, your project really sounds interesting.
I'm sorry I haven't commented the last couple of posts - I've been reading, but I've never taken clom*d, so I couldn't really offer any advice. Sounds like a blast though... ;-)

Mrs.X said...

You had me at "libido-less shrew". Oh my God that is funny.

Your project sounds really amazing and very, very important. Good for you and here's to hoping it gets picked up!

Anonymous said...

I was coming on here to post to you that I forgot to mention a couple of side effects of Clomid. One was the hot flashes-- oy, the hot flashes! There was a point in our fertility journeys where two of my closest friends and I were all on Clomid at the same time; I remember having dinner with them and our respective spouses, and each of us women periodically taking on and off our shoulder wraps as the hot flashes would come and go. The men got a good laugh out of it. Anyway, your work sounds so fascinating to me, and I look forward to hearing more about it.