Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Mittelschmertz from Hell (a.k.a. the world's most boring post)

My body has been flipping out lately from a terrible combo of things: a pesky cold, a bout of food poisoning that gave me a brief fever, and the most incredible ovulation pain I've ever experienced. It was hard to separate one from another, and I'm still feeling pretty awful.

After sloshing around in the sleet and freezing rain for a good part of Tuesday, I suddenly felt very hot and weak. I got a cab home and curled up in front of the DVD player for the rest of the evening. With little energy to do more than watch stupid movies, I drifted in and out of sleep for most of Wednesday, too weak even to get upset about the brief bout of bleeding I discovered Tuesday night. I mean, it was (TMI) more than just a touch of spotting, though not enough to send thoughts of an ER run to my mind. I guess that's what can happen when three or four follicles burst, and that would explain the dull to not-so-dull pain I'd felt since Sunday. My poor, heroic ovaries! I'm so sorry to be putting you through this. At least it's over: No pain, no spotting, all is quiet on the southern front.

So today, I'm lying around the house again, thankfully with considerably more energy. My mind is back, whirring away about book proposals, conference papers, and my constant concern, the dis. I'm glad. It's nice to have a brain again.

5 comments:

Io said...

Oh your poor ovaries. Just reading that made my ovaries cry out in sympathetic pain.
Glad you're feeling better though.

JellyBelly said...

eek!

btw, i think that mittelschmertz is such a cool word -- also it's one of the few things i remember from health class!!!!

Anonymous said...

They really should make a Hallmark card for that. "I'm so sorry I know it hurts, sorry about your Mittelschmertz." You know I'd be stamping that baby and putting in the mail. I'm glad you're feeling better now!

Mrs.X said...

Just the sound of "when follicles burst" makes my midsection hurt. I'm having sympathetic Mittelschmertz pains for you. By the way, if you haven't ever read his books, Armistead Maupin has a great name for Mittelschmertz, something like Ethelschmertz (as in Ethel Merman). I'm so not doing it justice, but its in the third or fourth book in his Tales of the City series. Check it out!

loribeth said...

I have had mittelschmerz too. Scared the crap out of me until I started doing some googling & realized what it was. Now when I get those crampy feelings midcycle (& I have had some midcycle spotting too, especially in recent years), I know just what it is. Take some ibuprofen & take it easy!