I'm not sure if I should do the lap at the same time as my hysteroscopy. I'm not the kind of gal that says, sure, just operate on me for no good reason. I know that endo is basically impossible to detect without a lap and that symptoms don't mean squat, but... I have an odd feeling that this isn't my problem. Call it women's intuition, for what it's worth (not much, it seems sometimes). I have no pain, nothing suggesting endo through all the years of ultrasounds and other tests, no history. While I do have something suggesting possible tubal problems (i.e. chlamydia antibodies, from a test taken in Eastern Europe. Never had a positive culture, though), my HSG was clear as a whistle. I know this doesn't tell you if your poor tubes are actually undulating away, but a lap wouldn't do them any good. It would just mean that we should proceed directly to IVF, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
Dr. Spunk says he could go either way with a patient like me. It's 50-50 for him.
So, I'd love to hear what y'all think. Would you just go ahead and do the lap when the polyps are being removed? Kill two birds with one stone?
But what if the other bird doesn't need to be stoned? Part of me wants to leave my ovaries in peace to do what they need to do, not stir them up. What if the surgery leads to adhesions, for instance? And there's no evidence that clearing minor endo would give my fertility much of a boost at all.
The other part wonders if I might end up having to get a lap anyway, if a few more months go by and nothing happens.
Ah, the insane dance of the infertile mind.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think I am in love with your title :-)
No good advice, I'm afraid, but I do love your title.
Well, I'll take praise, too! Thanks for stopping by, Mel!
I can see both sides of your well-reasoned arguments (Damn Libra sensibility!). But, I have to say that if I had been given the chance to have the lap done this week with the other surgery, I would have definitely done it. As long as I'm out, and they're digging around anyway, I would have liked to have the peace of mind that there was no endo. Because in the back of my mind I think, what if I have had that all this time, and nobody knew or checked? It still plagues me. So, I guess my answer is do it. If it were me.
Hey there, hon. I took the lap road, but I really had to because my tubes were completely blocked. We could have theoretically gone straight to IVF but the thought freaked me out. And, I had been diagnosed with endo (w/o lap) when I was 18 and put on BCPs for the next 10 years. So, I didn't want to do IVF, I wanted my tubes cleared and I wanted to make absolutely sure that I had no endo.
The surgery was 100% successful, I haven't had any issues with adhesions, etc and best of all, no endo. For me it was a peace of mind thing and having a shot at getting pregnant naturally.
If he can do the polyps removal with the hysteroscopy, and there really isn't that much concern about endo, I wouldn't upgrade to a lap. But, it may provide some real peace of mind regarding endo once and for all. For me, it was so worth it (and having my tubes unblocked).
As you've mentioned in past post(s?), you have your line in the sand. I get the sense that this surgery option is pushing your comfort zone.
If your intuition tells you to skip this surgery, I say follow it. After all, your intuition will be with you waaaay beyond the tangled web of IF. Hopefully, you'll be relying on your intuition for parenting choices soon, right?
My best to you, whatever you choose!
Post a Comment