Thursday, March 13, 2008

And again, she's going on about spring

There's an interesting saying in Russian that sums up the tensions in spring: Vesna krasna, no golodna. Spring is fair, but hungry.

While our ancestors in temperate climates reveled in the increasing light and warmth, spring meant you were scraping the bottom of the barrel--literally--in your food stores. Though a few wild plants might present themselves, basically there was nothing to eat. Hence Lent among the Christians or semi-Christians: for forty days, you went on a religiously supported diet regime, in hopes of making it through to the appearance of something edible. In northern Europe, people would hole up in their homes, wrap themselves up for warmth, and spend most of the last chilly, hungry days of winter sleeping to avoid starvation.

But we can enjoy the bright side of spring untainted. Our bellies are full. We're bursting with energy like the birds. Judging by your comments, we're all on the same page here. And I hope we can all claim this joy, regardless of the bitterness that seems to cling to us, unjustly. That's my little wish for all of you today. [Cue big-ass smile.]

Today, I'm going to try to finish reading for this book review I've had on my to-do list for an eon; put together our seed starting medium so that we can do some seed blocks this evening and get our planties going; do a bit of clean-up out in the yard and maybe dig and cook some of our parsnips that have waited out the winter underground. I'm eager to see how sweet the cold has made them.

The cats continue negotiations, some friendly, some tense. They are all characters, with strong personalities but very sweet dispositions. I will post pics very soon, I promise! Our camera is acting up a bit, so it's been tough to get anything that doesn't look like a strange blur where a cat should be.

9 comments:

Jen said...

So, I've got to hear it - what's going in your garden this spring? I'm an all-edibles, all the time kinda gal, so I've got veggies and herbs galore (well, if the cats haven't eaten the starts while we've been away).

alicia said...

I love spring! And so thankful not to be scrapping the bottoms of barrels! it's great your kitties are all getting along now! Can't wait to see the pics!

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

You sure it's the camera that's acting up? Or the cats! :-P

Io said...

I can't blame you for posting about spring again today - it is positively glorious outside.

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful writing style. I really enjoy reading it, and I always enjoy the history I learn. I need to clean up my yard too, but first will have to wait out the ice, standing water, and mud. Right now it's very, very ugly!

luna said...

love the spring talk. have you considered writing a book? ~luna

luna said...

hey, I'm giving you something else to write about. I've tagged you on my blog, hope you don't mind! ~luna

nancy said...

lol. I just noticed your job title in your profile was "bullshitter". That's awesome.

Spring. Tell that to the colorado weather when I got 6 inches of snow dumped on my this morning. Oh wait, I think spring may be winning because now it's sunny and like 50 degrees!

"The cats continue negotiations". Goodness - you are cracking me up today (even though I have totally already read this and failed to comment. I've been sucking in the comment department lately!)

Antigone said...

I posted my first picture on my blog today. I took a photo of my pills. Not too inspired.

I'm ready to feel the sun on my face. It's been a long Winter.