I wonder if this kind of effect only happens when the outcome (i.e. pain) is something that can't be measured objectively.
It would be really interesting to find out if and how the placebo effect applies to IF. Though really cruel to conduct a study like that, in some ways. Can we be tricked into conceiving? Would it work only if we were charged an arm and a leg?
hmm...I don't think my body can be tricked at this point. It's been tricked before by positive betas and I still don't have a baby. So even if there was some magic expensive pill they told me would knock me up, my body would find a way around it. It's also absurd to think of paying more for out IVF drugs!
August 2011-Now, for variety, a blighted ovum. Geesh.
May 2011-Chemical pregnancy. First pee stick positive ever.
Oct 2009-Induced at 37 weeks but give birth to healthy boy after easy labor.
May 2009-Find out we're having a boy.
April 2009-Become a completely boring pregnant lady with a due date of Oct. 22, 2009.
March 2009-Surprise! Twins with heartbeats.
Ah, whoops. Make that one.
January/February 2009-Next "scientific" cycle. Good ol' injects/IUI, with 8 or so follicles. BFP.
Beta 1=88 Beta 2=242
December 2008-cycle au natural?
October-November 2008-Twiddling my thumbs as my hCG drops...
July-September 2008-IUI + Follistim. 8 (!?!) follicles mature. Pregnant, but with AF-like bleeding and weird beta wildness suggesting an ectopic pregnancy. Treated medically (methotrexate).
April-July 2008-taking a break from medical treatment, just to see what happens/recover some sanity/write a lot on my dis /train for a triathlon.
March 2008- hysteroscopy and lap. Three polyps removed, a tiny amount of endo lasered, otherwise, "Everything looksgood in there." Evil spots banished, it seems.
6 comments:
Fascinating! If IVF were to become less expensive, do you think the success rate would decrease? Makes you wonder how far this theory can be spun out.
I know, crazy to think about it, no?
I wonder if this kind of effect only happens when the outcome (i.e. pain) is something that can't be measured objectively.
It would be really interesting to find out if and how the placebo effect applies to IF. Though really cruel to conduct a study like that, in some ways. Can we be tricked into conceiving? Would it work only if we were charged an arm and a leg?
well since it doesn't work when it DOES cost an arm and a leg... but wait a minute, what do an arm and a leg cost?
I suppose someone could twist this study to say it supports the power of positive thinking or some crap like that...
on another note, good luck tomorrow!
hmm...I don't think my body can be tricked at this point. It's been tricked before by positive betas and I still don't have a baby. So even if there was some magic expensive pill they told me would knock me up, my body would find a way around it. It's also absurd to think of paying more for out IVF drugs!
Good luck with the Lap.!!
Hope your surgery went well and you are recovering nicely, Ms. Woodchipper.
Post a Comment