The only thing worse than feeling slacker guilt is being called on it. Though I haven't been a complete lounger since the surgery, I've definitely been taking things a bit easier than usual. Luna
somehow sensed this remotely and thus tagged me on this particular meme. Her timing was perfect: I have a lot happening in the next few weeks, all of it incredibly dull, I'm sure. But here goes...
The rules:
Step 1. Reference back to the blog that sent you.
Step 2. Make a list of 5 things you have to get done this week, no matter how small.
Step 3. Get 2 other people off their asses to get their shit in order.
1. I have to finish this damn book review that's more than a year overdue (though the journal editor told me not to rush for various reasons). The books are good, and I've finally read them (always a plus), and this shouldn't be too hard. A matter of about 4-5 hours, methinks.
2. I have to write a press release for my former boss, after we interview his client on Monday. When not pretending to write my dis or blabbing away online, I make some extra money by writing stuff about "world music" musicians and their wacky projects to tempt jaded journalists into covering the aforementioned.
3. I have to prepare a presentation on a certain period in Inner Asian history for high schoolers and give this presentation on Wednesday morning. I've done this before; it's actually a lot of fun.
4. I have to make something up for a conference here at my university next weekend. Something about these certain plays about women in the 1920s and nonsense like that. Bored yet?
5. I have to start on my dis completion plan, which includes calling my overseas research contact who's fallen off the face of the earth recently so that I can get some archival materials I've been promised. This being something I can control (unlike IF), I've decided I'm going to write a chapter a month April-August. I want to get my adviser/committee head on board to meet with me twice a month over lunch, to force me to actually get something down on paper. It's all rolling around in my brain, but I've been too stymied or distracted to sit down and get it out. I feel that the time is ripe, and this is my moment to get the bulk of the bullshit done.
Whew. Actually, I'm one of those wacky folks who likes to be either really busy, or really lazy. I hate the in-between state of having a few odds and ends to do, but nothing urgent. Which means that I'll take the rest of today off, with the exception of finally getting our seeds started this evening.
I'm passing the buck on to Io and Ahuva Batya.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You make me miss academia!!!
Mostly I miss having intelligent conversations with adults. Most of my conversations are with my 8 year old students. Of which, many of them start with, please sit down and do your work! :)
I'm with you, I'm either really busy or really lazy.
Your list just stressed me out.
I would love to hear some sordid tales, off color jokes or song and dance routines. Please. Entertain me.
kudos for getting your shit in order so fast! now i know, just because you made the list doesn't mean it's done, but first things first. very impressive.
what a cool side gig. I love world music, I listen to a lot of west african stuff and always looking for new discoveries (for me anyway).
I used to do high school presentations sometimes. I enjoyed it, but there was always one smart-ass in the back distracting his friends by being too cool. I don't envy HS teachers one bit. it was a lot of fun, but it made me feel really old.
so your comment on my blog about the deceptive sense of reality of that initial love feeling made me laugh (you have a way of doing that). thanks, I needed that this morning.
oh, and don't get too excited about lemon boy -- first of all he's in a container, and second he's having some developmental issues. figures.
good luck checking off your list. thanks for playing along. ~luna
I'm getting tired just reading the list. Mine would have such scintillating entries such as "finish ironing" and "water plants." I'm an exciting girl.
wow that is some list! What an interesting set of things to be working on... though I'd have to have a few non-creative things like 'wash car' to balance me out. I get exhausted from doing all writing/creative things...
Wah. I finally did this. My stuff is not nearly as interesting though.
That is one very scary list - particularly the part where you say that you're going to write a chapter a month!
Am intrigued about your paper about plays about women in the 1920s - sounds like we might work on vaguely similar issues.
Post a Comment