I love my chosen profession, meaning I love research, teaching, discussing ideas with people who are very familiar with or completely new to my interests. I am passionately committed to helping young people expand their understanding and sharpen their minds, and I'm convinced that it's possible to make a tiny, but perhaps meaningful contribution to their lives as a college-level teacher.
But I hate some of the ideas that have crept into academia since the 1970s, at least in the realm of culture and its study. Because I study an obscure corner of the world, a lot of what I call the schlock work of history has yet to be done. And yet people--very, very nice people, mind you, whom I genuinely like--are giving papers on single phrases they heard from a couple of random people in 2007. Drawing sweeping conclusions based on two newspaper articles. Linguists and anthropologists can do this, apparently, padding their observations with theory that states the obvious in jargon terms. The kind of theory that's basically a form of log rolling for tenure.
This always irritates me. Not only am I very skeptical of most theory, which I think should be used to help us organize our evidence, not generate it, I am very bored with it. It seems so disconnected from what I feel is our actual mission as scholars: to bring information and new perspectives to as broad an audience as is feasible.
For instance, I don't know if post-colonial theory applies to Russia very well. I think you have to understand something about colonial administration on the ground before you can make that call. Moreover, you have to understand how the people on the ground at that time interacted with administrators (if they really have any power at all on the local level), their economic situation, cultural changes in the community, etc. Same goes for the Qing (Manchu) Dynasty, the last dynasty in China. The fact of the matter is, my anthro colleague in casual conversation felt comfortable drawing a conclusion on this front, while I didn't. My friend hadn't read a single original source from the era in question, just the theory and some secondary articles or something. Because we're dealing with an indigenous group, their history, their intellectual, cultural, and political achievements are invisible, irrelevant, static, and therefore don't require study.
I do what I do because I love the stories and people I've encountered. I always feel so sad when they are slighted. My work is historical, more or less, though based on culture and the arts, which means I can apply some anthro-type theory if necessary. But first and foremost, I see my task at the moment as getting whatever facts I can out there, in part because the narratives of the past have been highly distorted by politics, effectively erasing the achievements of an entire group of people. A lot of important documents and works of literature are only available in obscure languages, often written in obscure scripts.
I also feel a kind of resentment that my IF sisters will find familiar: The gently smoldering anger that comes from knowing that my bullshitting buddies will have a much easier time getting their wish than I will. In this case, that means finding a job, which will likely prove tough despite my skills, experience, and commitment to learning and teaching. That meaningless jargon equals jobs in many fields nowadays.
But in recognizing that anger, I feel somewhat liberated from it. I know I'm good, and I know that someone out there will appreciate that. It's just a matter of time. I thank you, if you've gotten this far, for reading my bitchy blathering.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
ah the joy in academia to public or perish. I have high confidence that when you're ready you will get the position you envision. tenure track too.
I loved your comment this morning. thanks! ~luna
So what is it you exactly do? I know you said you study a certain part of the world? What part? I wish I understood more about what you were saying cause it sounds fasinating! I am sure you will be able to find a job! And I hope its one you love and enjoy!
I'd love to gush about my obscure corner of the world, but it would definitely blow my blog cover (due to its incredible obscurity). Sorry if my rantings are hard to follow...
Basically, I'm in what's called "area studies," meaning I work across academic disciplines and historical periods, but only in a very specific part of the world. Most of what I do counts as history, I suppose.
Thanks for your kind wishes, Alicia and Luna!
I have the exact same problem, except that I'm still traveling to and from my obscure little part of the world (actually, it's a fairly normal place - it's just the subject and time period are rather obscure) and I can't even put where I am on my blog for fear of my friends (or mother) finding it. But I did enjoy reading your thoughts on the connections between the academic job market and IF.
Much better, I think, to be true to your values, and to continue to do that voodoo that you do so well (Yes, I watched Blazing Saddles for the 100th time lst night), than to give in to "sound bite research." You will have the satisfaction of being honest and living with integrity....
although i loved my graduate studies (alas, i studied something a little more "mainstream" because of my chosen thesis advisor, who went nutso during the last revisions of my thesis!!!) i hated that i felt like i was being a total poser, which explains why i changed directions with my career.
don't worry, all of your hard work will pay off, it has to, right?
I identified with just about every single word of this post (apart from the obscure corner of the world bit - my research focuses on a relatively well-known period in European cultural history, but like yours is trans-disciplinary in nature).
Like you, I'm impatient with the idea of theory for theory's sake - far too many of my peers seem to cover up real gaps in their knowledge with obscure jargon/half-digested precepts. As you say, it's galling to think that these are the people who will get what few jobs there seem to be going at the moment (are things as bleak over in the US?)
Theory certainly has its place - I couldn't do what I'm doing without it - however all too often it isn't used to illuminate, but to obscure. As I'm always telling my students: there's a great art in being able to explain a complicated idea simply!
Post a Comment