Friday, March 21, 2008

My Brain Hurts

Progress report on my to-do list:

1. Finished evil press release from hell.

2. Have some idea what I will talk about tomorrow at conference, contained in a handy-dandy outline. I'm one of those speakers who prefers to simply harness their blabber mouth via roman numerals, etc.

3. Got first installment of material from research contact, who's making progress with my requests. He's the best. My advisor liked my idea to meet twice a month over lunch and talk about my dis stuff. I'm supposed to submit 10 pages or so a day before each meeting. Could it be someday I'll finish this monster?!?

4. Got part way through the book review. Alas, it will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday.

5. Uh...oh yeah! Had a blast disavowing young teens of their misconceptions, blasting heavy metal and rap from my obscure corner of the world, projecting funny images on a big ol' screen, yelling. Their teacher took me out to lunch, too!

So, 4.5 outta 5 ain't bad, right? Now I have to bake cornbread for a potluck tonight and clean up the house, as we're hosting a few grad students from out of state who are coming to the conference this weekend. But by the goddess, my mind aches. I realize there's just so much juice you can squeeze out of your brain, before it starts draining your entire body. Ugh.

For Easter, my mom sent us a big gift box, which will hopefully include something sweet. We're planning on going for a hike. I can't wait to NOT USE MY BRAIN for a whole day.

7 comments:

JellyBelly said...

i envy not your not having to use your brain. hopefully i'll get to that point sometime after april 9th.

sweet treats for easter, yummm....

Anonymous said...

Impressive progress, indeed! NO wonder your brain hurts. Do you make your cornbread with actual corn kernels in it, I must know.

luna said...

wow, that's really impressive. very productive week you had. you must be exhausted. glad you're getting out to NOT use your brain this weekend. (oh, and I use outlines too.)

thanks so much for your kind comment this morning. and always. ~luna

Shinejil said...

No kernels in my cornbread, though I'm always trying different recipes as I've yet to find something approaching my Platonic ideal of the stuff. Sigh.

I did use some great local stone-ground corn meal, from an amazing old grist mill not far from here.

Io said...

4.5/5 is pretty darn good. I hope your mom sent you something sweet!

Denise said...

Just catching up with my reading after being "away" for a couple of days. I hope you had a nice day of not using your brain. It sounds like it needed a recharge.

Thanks for all the entertaining stories/posts last week. It definitely helped to take my mind off of things for a bit.

Antigone said...

Lucky you - getting to max out that big juicy brain of yours. I need to get some side projects going - my work has been mind numbing lately.