Friday, March 28, 2008

Dating Myself (Synchronicity)

No, not as in asking myself to go steady and trying to get fresh during the movie. As in showing my age.

It's Friday and my brain's fried again. Not for any fun reasons, just due to too many hamsters running too fast to churn out too much bullshit. I'm also feeling that odd wired yet foggy feeling that precedes the march of the Red Army. No spotting, but it's also taking its time. I just want it to get flowing and leave me alone.

I'm going to spend a big chunk of today playing host to a young scholar from Obscure Corner of the World. She will be forced to go to an art opening and eat strawberries and drink Prosecco. It's my personal vengeance for all the TV, mutton, and hard liquor that her countrymen forced on me.

So instead of some long-winded story, may I offer some dated music? Those funky flash players never have what I want, but thankfully, there's YouTube.

This 80s gem has some lyrics I find oddly inspiring and comforting:

A connecting principle
Linked to the invisible
Almost imperceptible
Something inexpressible
Science insusceptible
Logic so inflexible
Causally connectable
Yet nothing is invincible

If we share this nightmare
Then we can dream
Spiritus mundi*

Hard to believe, but they played this song even faster live. But the vocals, naturally, weren't as awesomely overlapping.

*Spiritus mundi, spirit of the world, appears in Yeat's darkly beautiful, eerily current poem "Second Coming" but here I think for the Police, it's more Jungian. The collective unconscious, oversoul, world soul, etc.

5 comments:

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Ahh ... The Police. Brings back some good memories of the '80's for me. Was so happy to get a chance to see them in concert this past year. Even if we had to pay an arm and a leg ... it was worth it to see how incredibly sexy Sting is at 56 years old. Damn ...

Denise said...

I love that whole album. We were supposed to see them on their reunion tour and ended up missing it to go visit my cousin in Indiana who was home on leave from Iraq.

Pamela T. said...

Music and lyrics can bring such clarity and satisfaction -- and unleash new thinking. Thanks for reminding me to revisit the Police.

Antigone said...

That's it. I'm teasing my bangs today.

Anonymous said...

I heart you. Seriously.