Since there's no news this month from Ladyland, post-op, and I'm all out of deep thoughts at the moment, I'm going to babble more about my cats.
The newcomers basically demonstrated that they were determined to roam the house at large, and we let them, with no major problems. Mr. Pepys, named for the eminent man of letters, was less than delighted, but not too hard on the new fellows. He seems slightly out of sorts, so I'm trying to give him an extra dose of love (and special treats). Bilbo (shelter name that seems to stick like glue), the little black kitty with the funky tail, is kicking everyone's ass, simply by walking around and not giving a damn. Jack (also shelter name, also sticky) has found his courage and is happily climbing into windows and attempting to gnaw on house plants. Spitting and hissing comes at regular, but infrequent intervals, as the men sort out who's who. But overall, a very peaceful transition to what we hope will be a merry sausage fest. I'm proud of our Mr. Pepys, who has shown his excellent kitty quality by being what in feline terms seems to be an incredibly gracious host.
I'll post pictures soon.
Outside, I noticed the first crocus in bloom yesterday afternoon. Just now, I walked through the yard, barefoot on the cold, damp grass, and saw that they were everywhere, the flowers of my labor. Their tiny white, cream, yellow and purple blossoms are so perfectly proportioned and shaped. They're not showy, but such tiny shouts of spring that I almost broke into tears when I found a particularly pretty cluster near the air conditioner. Hope, I found myself thinking, hope has come. Nature makes it so plain: Things begin to burst forth from their silent sleep, and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Yay for crocuses and kitties who get along! I remember when I was a kid, the big news that spring was coming was the arrival of the Burpees catalog. My mother practically swooned over it every year.
Spring is coming! I love how you are so connected to nature. I really come away feeling like we are part of something really great and that there is hope. Let the seasons change and bring new beginnings for us all!
Yay for both cats and flowers! Yours are *blooming* already?! I just noticed mine coming up.
I'm glad the cats are all getting along. Our old girl *hated* other cats and was most unhappy the time we brought a new guy home and showed it by peeing on things.
What a beautiful little gift to yourself, the emergence of those flowers that you planted before winter. It just goes to show, that your hard work sometimes has to germinate before it can really flower; ah, what a great metaphor. Glad the kitties are getting along. How long do you keep them, until someone adopts? I would have a hard time with letting them go!
We rescued a new dog recently and she's in the habit of running after our cats trying to lick them and pick them up by the scruff of their necks. I think she thinks they are her puppies. Its so sweet but it really does terrify the cats.
I LOVE spring. It was a balmy 60 degrees and sunny when I got home from work yesterday and we left the sliding glass door open so the dogs could hang out on the deck or go outside. It felt like summer, the smells, the sounds, the feel...ahhhh.
I'm SO excited about spring finally arriving - what a long, COLD winter this year!
Can't wait to see pics of the kitties! ;)
Our crocuses bloomed a couple of weeks ago. Saw my first daffy in bloom last week. I'm a huge sucker for spring, as life starts peeking through the brown and gray again. I'm hoping timing an IVF cycle with this will be really good for my psyche.
Our new little kitten will be arriving from the shelter (foster care) next week. Hope our kitty adjusts as well as yours seems to be. I expect some hissing and outrage for a while.
So post some kitty pics, already!!!
Okay ... waiting patiently for cute kitty pictures!! I love kitties, too!
I love cats and I love spring! :)
I just love it when you write about flowers. pictures please. seriously, there is something so wonderful about spring, so irrepressible.
and it sounds like kitty heaven there. letting the boys duke it out too, nice. hopefully you're getting lots of kitty love.
btw, I meant to tell you both my hub and I laughed out loud at your comment on my seattle post about "croissant porn." I love that pic too! your comment made us want to start a food blog, but guess what, there are SO many out there. and "food porn" is already taken by a bunch of sites! go figure... oh well, I can always just keep taking pix.
hope you're feeling better.
~luna
Post a Comment