Saturday, September 6, 2008

Random rantings

Yes, I got my butt shots and, yes, I feel crappy. But somehow, I think they'll work this time. I'm resting this weekend, and I spent yesterday and will spend today in bed watching stupid sci-fi. My body feels like it could sleep forever and a day, so clearly some horizontal time is needed. Despite all this, my mood is strangely better. I've got another meeting with Dr. Spunk on Tuesday, to discuss our game plan, should the meth not do its job this round. I don't know what I feel about surgery. I'm reassured that Dr. S helped develop the meth protocols for ectopics, and he is an excellent surgeon (I mean, you can barely see that I've had a lap, unless you're really looking hard).

Meanwhile, on the farm front, we're going to see the place tomorrow. I'm going to take lots of pictures, and I may even go nuts and post some, if they look good. Guest rooms will be provided, and we even had the idea to do some gormet meals for visitors in collaboration with an aspiring chef friend who works at our local hippy-foody store. Can you imagine a nice meal prepared from the cream of the winter veggie crop (oh yes, friends, winter even in the southern Midwest is a prime growing season with the right set-up) with wood-fired oven baked bread and local cheese (there's a great dairy down the road that does lovely, classic raw milk cheeses)?

And to distract ourselves, we've been watching the Republican convention over the last few days. My observations:
1. Cindy McCain is most definitely a Cylon. Why can't women just look their age, beautifully? She's a lovely woman, and doesn't need all the scary synthetics, dye, surgery, Botox, whatever.
2. The cameras seemed to have sought out at least 30% of the 36 African-American delegates at the convention (out of 2,400 or so in attendence). Compare with the Dem convention, where the audiene looked like America not the Lockjaw Country Club board meeting.
3. No mention of any concrete policy initiatives or directions, just vague platitudes. We need details, peeps. It isn't about character; it's about ideas and plans.
4. The protesters, especially considering the treatment of many activists and esteemed progressive journalists like Amy Goodman, were brave people.

I have nothing against John McCain as a person. I think I'd like him if I met him and would enjoy hearing more about his life. But he must not be our leader. I wish he'd go home (which house is home is up to him), kick back, and enjoy the rest of his life.

I have everything against Sarah Palin. Any person who believes the earth is 3,000 years old and that rape victims do not deserve to be delivered from the mass of cells their assailants deposited in them is clearly opposed to reason, logic, and the intellectual accomplishments of hundreds of generations of hard-thinking human beings. I am not going to throw Thomas Paine, Susan B. Anthony, Charles Darwin, and a gazillion other brilliant men and women onto the trash heap of history for some smirking, mean-spirited shrew. Stoneagers out of government!

4 comments:

luna said...

the farm idea sounds wonderful. one of our fantasies has been to start a B&B but that one's just not going to happen. so I like to live vicariously. and stay at other b&bs.

I'm with you on palin. I'm insulted by her nomination, and I'm not even a republican.

Anonymous said...

I hope shot # 2 does the trick.

Can I come stay at your farm and be a guest chef??

Io said...

WORD.
And #2 cracked me up - Al and I were playing "Spot the minority game."
still sober at the end of the night.
Palin enrages me and makes me irrational. I just shake watching her.

I can't wait to hear more about the farm!

battynurse said...

I'm so with you on the Palin thing.