So, we actually went to look at Short Sale Farm. Our agent talked to the listing agent a bit, and it seems the problem is NOT that the bank refuses to sell for some cryptic reason (apparently some bank is now the owner), it's that the offers on the table really suck, and the bank is rejecting them out of hand. And banks apparently will often simply say "Nope" and that's it. No counter.
The land is gorgeous, just what we're looking for in just the right amount. It has a very cool old barn, set up at the moment for horses, but with electricity, water, and enough structural integrity to perhaps shelter a walk-in cooler (a veggie farm must) and other important work spaces. The house is funky: nice kitchen that needs little more than a new light fixture and a touch of paint, decent bathrooms (totally not my style, but in good shape and tolerable for now), and a crazy-ass old-house floor plan that tells tales of years of random additions and such.
One bedroom was just gorgeous and huge and bright, looking out over acres of farmland, rolling hills, and an old barn. Just nix the carpet and you're good to go. The other had a weird old fireplace and a bizarre walk-in closet-like space that made you scratch your head. The third "bedroom" was a windowless room down a couple steps next to the mudroom/laundry area. Very odd.
Fortunately, we're in/subfertile, so whatever.
Unfortunately, we'll have to have a strong pending offer on our house to make an offer the bank won't refuse. No so good.
Did I mention the toilet from the second bathroom is currently sitting in the middle of the family room, which still lacks its bamboo floor? You get the picture.
But perhaps, the real estate gods will be kind. Perhaps the timing will somehow pan out. Or not. Maybe there's someplace even cooler just about to go on the market once the daffodils appear.
By the way, I saw the first crocus and snowdrops this morning!
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hoping you end up on the farm of your dreams soon. Without lots of hassle.
Oh, why can't things be easy??
But yay for the crocuses! :) That's gotta be a good sign, right?
The farm sounds wonderful! I hope you get to put in an offer.
And empathies on the home renovation front! Is it just me, or do these things seem to drag on interminably?
We are in mid-remodel craziness too. I will be SO GLAD when it's done. I hope you get the farm of your dreams! How fun!
The farm does sound amazing! I am hoping the planets align for you and you get a good generous offer on your house soon, toilet location be hanged!
oh wow, it sounds amazing! I hope things do work out in there timing! I am soo jealous of your coming spring, we just got hit with more snow and a cold wind that takes your breathe away, grrr.
The description of the farm makes me physically salivate. My dream has always been to be on a farm, and the imagine of waking up and looking out on a farm field is almost too much goodness for me to bear. I believe the current fertility of yourself and the symbol of fertility of a farm go very nicely hand-in-hand right now. I feel the real-estate gods would agree.
Today's word verification: torsaptu (a little-studied island just south of Easter Island).
It sounds like this place has some potential. I hope you find the farm you've been looking for soon! Great news about the crocuses and snowdrops :)
The odd windowless "bedroom" was definitely where Rochester kept his batty wife. But love the toilet in the middle of the living room!! so convenient!
Things definitely turn out to be for the best. A friend of mine trying to get country property had deal after deal fall thru. They had to keep looking and eventually they found THE PERFECT place so it'll happen.
looking at places gets addictive, doesn't it?
Post a Comment