Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Potty Paranoia

My last science cycle, this was the day I started bleeding like a stuck pig. Before that, I had been fairly blissfully bopping along, feeling a bit odd, but nothing clear one way or the other. I had been slightly hopeful.

At the Red Army's invasion, I cried in the ladies room, but soon found myself resigned to my fate--a do-over--and demanding the RE's office let off the beta hook, since it was already obvious what had happened: nothing.

Cue sinister strings.

But my beta was positive (sort of) and I had an ectopic.

I'm scared things will happen exactly the same way today. So I have potty paranoia. Toilet terror. Commodophobia. Even though I need to pee every half hour, on the hour, like some sort of urinary NPR update, I hold it. I'm scared to look down and see what's up.

Why do we feel that events will repeat themselves? It's as if some oddball part of our brains insists on extrapolating whatever has gone before endlessly into the future. That's why it's so impossible for many of us to ever imagine getting a positive test, getting an encouraging sonogram, getting to labor and delivery.

We've had the same thing, with slight variations, happen over and over and over again. Our minds just can't fathom that sudden shift, that huge change when everything that's gone before is relegated to the past, and thus, in some respects, to uneasy irrelevance.

I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow. But I refuse to feel fear today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand your 'potty paranoia'. I purposely decide to 'gaurd my heart' from the hope of bfp, it's much easier to expect the worst and be right than to hope for the best and be wrong.

Take care, I'm blowing loads and loads of babydust your way!

eve from infertilityrocks.wordpress.com

battynurse said...

Hang in there. Hoping for good results on your beta.

JellyBelly said...

stay strong shinejil!!! you can overcome your pottyphobia!!!!

alicia said...

do you find out tmr??? wow so exciting. It is hard to believe that all the bad can change when all you have been dealt is bad. But it really can change! and i have everything crossed for you that tmr will bring you some amazing results!

Lea said...

Hoping this time around is nothing like before. I totally understand the fear though. I've been having a harder and harder time visualizing a positive test and a positive outcome. Sending good thoughts for you today and tomorrow. Isn't peeing alot a good sign? :)

Anonymous said...

Continue to refuse to feel fear. You're doing great, you reallyreallyare. Know that I'm cheering for you and hoping that fear soon takes a back seat to elation.

Anonymous said...

Hoping for you, Shinejil.

Stace said...

I'm hoping for the best for you!! I hope the fear is for nothing this time around!! :)

'Murgdan' said...

Commodophobia...hoping there is NO cause for it this cycle.

:-) Love it.

Pamela T. said...

Sending good thoughts your way...so hope that your sinister strings turn melodic and sweet.

Ms Heathen said...

I think that, when you've had one bad experience, it's very hard not to assume that the same thing will happen again.

I'm thinking of you as you await your beta, dear shinejil, and wishing and hoping for a good outcome. May all your worries be in vain!

Anonymous said...

How often I wiped in dread...I know that horrible feeling, waiting for what feels like the inevitable bad news. I hope beyond hope that tomorrow is good news. I'll be thinking of you all day!

Today's word verification: itllwork.

What are the odds???