First off, thanks so much for your thoughtful responses to my question. I love it when people take the time to express their perspectives--too little of that goes on, imho--in a way that encourages learning. Meaning that I learned a lot from your words and experiences.
A while back, I mentioned in passing that I grew up in a haunted house. "A ha!" some of you may now be gloating. "You had Casper as a sibling, you only child poseur!"
Not quite. But in the interest of distracting myself and keeping out of the clutches of the evil Dr. Google, I'm going to tell you more about my eerie adolescence.
My mom's side of the family, in particular as it comes down my maternal granddad's (Welsh) line, is beset with weirdness. Dead relatives appearing in photographs. Clocks--electric, pendulum, battery, you name it--all stopping at the minute of my granddad's death for several hours. A woman in a mental hospital where my dad was working telling my mom about her "beautiful baby girl" when she was already pregnant but didn't know it yet. Strange lucid dreams that come true. You know, that kind of thing.
These were, for the most part, stories I heard and didn't witness. But in the 100-year-old old prairie four-square where I spent my teenage years, I heard and saw some odd things. Strangely enough, it was never scary. Just...bizarre.
One night, I was lying in bed. My parents were both out of the house. I was reading and suddenly heard what I thought was them coming home: the distinctive slam of the heavy plate glass front door, the particular creaks of each stair. I heard it, plain as day.
Then I looked out on the landing, and there was no one there.
You'd think, as a gal alone at night in a big old house, that I'd be pretty shaken. But I wasn't, not at all. It felt oddly normal.
My parents both saw the ghost, each on separate occasions, a female figure in white who turned around and disappeared. We would sometimes here loud crashes and bangs from the kitchen at night, as if every glass and dish were breaking at once. Sometimes, the whole house would smell distinctly and powerfully of roses in the winter, with no potpourri or whatnot to explain the scent. Once, a stained glass window somehow flew smack dab into the middle of the kitchen floor, smashing into a hundred pieces but not disturbing the breakables in front of it. Once, a single piece of the family silver disappeared mysteriously, only to reappear a thousand miles away several years later. My mother still jealously guards the spoons, keeping an eagle-eye out for the pilfering phantom.
I don't know; perhaps there are other explanations for all this, besides the supernatural. Perhaps my family and I are one big happy band of mutually supportive loonies. But I have to say, regardless, my teenage experiences taught me that there is definitely more to heaven and earth than we can see and understand.
Any inexplicable happenings in your family history? Any eerie tales you can tell?
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
on the day that my maternal grandfather died my mom saw him walking into my bedroom and into my closet. we hadn't gotten news of his passing, but my mom had felt strange all day long. i was in the living room when i saw her going into my room, but i didn't ask her about it.
when my uncle died my youngest aunt followed him into the ladies' washroom at her work. again, we didn't get news of his death until later that day.
it's a cultural superstition that the dead will make their presence known to the living. when my favourite uncle passed away ten years ago my mom swears that she felt him blowing on her feet that night.
although there have been many ghost sightings in my life by the people around me (my suspicion is the ghosts avoid me because i'm really sensitive and i would probably freak out!) i've never been afraid. i think that it was sweet of my grandfather to look for me in my bedroom, although the house i grew up in was TINY so if he turned a corner he would've seen me.
it's funny that we have so much in common shinejil!
I knew a close friend of the family died before I was told, b/c she came to me in my dreams.
My brother follows me around. Though he's been a bit MIA since the m/c. I like to think he's taking care of wallaby.
When my grandfather was in a coma, my mom asked him to give her some kind of sign that my brother was okay. He passed away on the same date that he did, two years to the day.
A place I used to work was haunted. I would hear my name, and nobody would be there. A grown, adult, tough man was in a room alone and saw the ghost, he came out screaming like a little girl and saying he'd never go in there alone again - and he didn't. We made a chair for the ghost and set it up - she (I think) left us alone after that.
I've never seen a ghost but I think I would like to.
The only ghostly or paranormal happening I've ever experienced was when I was like 3 or 4 and my cousin swears it didn't happen, my mom says it did and it was the demons that did it. I don't know if I actually remember it happening or just my mom telling me what happened. My cousin and I had went upstairs at my great grandmas house and when we opened the door there was a totem pole in the door way that seemed to be moving.
ohhh what awesome stories! I only have had angle moments, but nothing passed down from my family. Like the time my window was open during a rain storm, and i had my portfolio of hundreds of cards i had made on a table below this window. The whole table was moved about 2 inches from the wall to avoid getting wet. Keith wasn't home, I didn't move the table! and you could still see the indents in the carpet where the table was before the rain started.
love this stuff
OOOoooo..that's sounds so eerie!
Not a lot for me to talk about, but just last night I got up at 4 am to my son asking to go potty, only to get out of bed and see he wasn't there. Totally weirded me out, and kept me awake until he REALLY did have to pee at 5 am.
eve from infertilityrocks.wordpress.com
If your family is a bunch of loonies, then we are related.
My mother is haunted. It isn't her house, it is her. They follow her wherever she goes. There are lots of stories I could tell you.
Probably the most eerie of them that comes to mind right away is the ringing phone. My dad died 17 years ago and he used to travel a lot for business. He would call every night between 10 and 10:15 when he was on the road to say good night. In the year following his death, the phone rang every night between 10 and 10:15. There was never anyone on the other end, it simply rang. It got to the point where we would just look at each other and say that it was dad calling to say good night. Yes, we were crazy, and still probably are.
ooh, I love these stories. shinejil. maybe you need to write another kind of book?
we used to live in a haunted house but nothing as exciting as yours. there was a woman spirit who would float back and forth between the master bedroom and the wall that used to be french doors that led to her garden. I never saw her but I felt her, and others reporting seeing her. she was not an evil spirit at all, she just was.
BUT, our landlord said she never had kids and there were never any children conceived there. NOT such a good place to have lived all those (supposedly) fertile years, huh?
I want to hear more stories!
My mum used to have night visitors: people that would appear at the bottom of her bed.
Then the next day objects would move without explanation.
I personally only "feel" the presence of other people, and hear my name being called: like someone is in the other room wanting me.
It is weird but I think an open mind is essential for all this "other world" stuff to be figured out.
Jo
(Here from L&F)
Post a Comment