Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Eight is enough...

...to make my gut ache like someone just punched me repeatedly. Eight follicles with mature eggs, I was told.

Oh my god. What have we just done?!

I guess my RE wasn't whistling Dixie when he said he'd like to be aggressive.

My guy's end of the bargain went smoothly, and the IUI, with the exception of the extremely unpleasant sensation of something going through the cervix--it just feels SO WRONG--was fine. The nurse, a genuinely peppy, bubbly, kind-hearted gal, showed us the sperm wriggling away on the microscope slide. They were oddly cute, like little fennel seeds with sprightly tails.

Now, I'm ovulating. How do I know? The nurse said 1 PM was the time, and it hurts. Like worse than any other part of this process. Really unpleasant. Ouch.

I'm exhausted, in part because I was up once again at 5 AM to write a press release. I can't wait to go home and sleep, but after work, I'm getting acupuncture, a cool protocol to support IUI success based on Chinese and Western research. Then, thank the goddess, I'll be spending the next few days hanging out with my mom, going antiquing and taking a few days off to have some fun. Mocktails and rummage sales.

My beta is Aug. 19th. Wish me luck (but not too much luck, if you catch my drift).

17 comments:

Stace said...

Wow! 8 follicles!! Good luck!! :)

Hope the days pass quickly!

luna said...

fennel seeds, funny.
wishing you ONE good one!

alicia said...

ha ha not too much luck! maybe we will both be having triplets after these succesful IUI's!! so glad it went well for you! I am crossing everything :)

Io said...

Oh my! That's a lot of follicles lady! I hope one (or two? But hopefully not all eight) sticks around! Whee!
Enjoy the relaxing.

the Babychaser: said...

Oh my, EIGHT follies! I wish you, um, about 1/4 that amount of really quality good luck.

This is actually really great news. Aggressive it is, but it gives you such great odds.

Of course, surviving the two week wait is going to SUCK. If you're like me, you'll be reading something into every twinge and tickle. So annoying.

Stay calm and distract yourself. Good luck (1/4 luck).

annacyclopedia said...

Wishing you just the right amount of luck!

And I would love to hear your views on Clomid for women who ovulate on their own, as you mentioned in a recent comment on my blog...you can spout off in this direction: annarchyinjapan at yahoo dot com. Looking forward to it whenever you have both time and inclination.

Denise said...

Eight! Oh boy. Here's hoping you have one stick (or maybe 2?)!

Mrs.X said...

Wishing you just enough luck to be manageable! And, in your spare time, check out the award I gave you on my blog!

Malloryn said...

Wow, eight follicles! That is pretty incredible. I'm hoping that there is one (maybe two) sticky ones in that group! :)

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Eight is great! Will be thinking of you over the next two weeks.

But what I really wanna read is some of your stories ...

BTW, totally saw Do.gs in S.pace ... and loved it. I think I have a copy of it on an old VHS tape somewhere. Now if I can only find that VCR ...

Ms Heathen said...

Glad to hear that you are going to take a few days off - have fun with your mom!

And best of luck! I hope the next two weeks pass quickly for you.

JellyBelly said...

i admire your follicle-making abilities!

i'm sending you good luck vibes!

kate said...

Woot, woot! Eight, huh? You go on- show that Kate woman on TV that your uterus is BETTER than hers... Laugh at her six! Call her a wuss!

Erm, okay. Here's to hoping that only one, maaaaybe two, decide to stick.

Anonymous said...

That's so cool. We never got to see the actual spermazoids when we did IUI. I'm so excited for your 8 fabulous follicles. Hoping for you!!

nancy said...

Wowee. 8 mature follicles. I'm actually a little bit frightened for you. But ~very~ excited!

Heather said...

Wishing you lots of luck!!!

TABI said...

On 8/8/08, I wish all the best with your lucky 8 follicles! For sure one of those is going to work!